Woman's Art Club Building

Title

Woman's Art Club Building

Description

Architects designing campus buildings between 1935 and 1939 were faced with a dilemma. Should they choose the Renaissance Revival style of most previous campus buildings or opt for the modern designs prevailing throughout the nation? In a compromise, three of the five buildings constructed during this phase allude to the previous style, but the Student Union and this building proudly illustrate the modern Art Deco architectural movement. Very simple in design, the building features a flat roof, windows framed in terra cotta, and a stepped parapet. Completed in 1937, the building was financed by the Woman’s Club of Missoula and the PWA. It originally served as a clubhouse and art building housing the first art museum in the inland Northwest. Later occupied by the Alumni Association, the building now accommodates Continuing Education and the Woman’s Club of Missoula.

Creator

The Montana National Register Sign Program

Type

universities (buildings)
building | contributing

District

The University of Montana Historic District

Street Address

Missoula, Montana

County

Missoula county