123 East Broadway

Title

123 East Broadway

Description

Local rancher Lee Degenhart financed the construction of this building in 1910. Fred Haverty, a contractor from Hall, Montana, who later ran a car dealership here in Philipsburg, was the builder. Design features include the original ornamental leaded glass and a decorative brick cornice. This and other commercial structures of like vintage illustrate the economic boom Philipsburg enjoyed between 1900 and 1914. The community’s weekly newspaper The Philipsburg Mail has been headquartered in this building since 1941.

Creator

The Montana National Register Sign Program

Type

commercial buildings
printing firms
building | contributing

District

Philipsburg Historic Disctrict

Street Address

123 East Broadway, Philipsburg, Montana

County

Granite county