Browse Items (2273 total)

Seventeen-year-old William Coleman joined the Union ranks of Ohio’s volunteer infantry during the Civil War and then, drawn by tales of gold, came west with his brother Lewis in 1866. Although trained as a carriage blacksmith, Coleman preferred…

The free-wheeling territorial period was drawing to a close when this stylish Queen Anne style residence was built circa 1889. Attributed to prolific Helena architect George Appleton, the lovely Victorian-era home is a classic example of his…

Copper king Marcus Daly contracted with William Brennan to supply his Butte mines with 1.5 million feet of timber monthly in 1889. Brennan and a partner first established a mill at the mouth of Skalkaho Creek. Two years later, at Daly's direction,…

Upscale neighborhoods often placed “restrictive covenants” to assure new buildings did not compromise the ambience. When developer James King sold lots in this new suburb, covenants he set required a twenty-five-foot setback for new homes, which…

William and Isabel Shea built this cozy one-story brick home in 1929. With its distinctive low profile, clipped-gable shingle roof, stucco siding, exposed rafter tails, and multi-pane windows, the inviting residence is a classic Craftsman style…

Self-made multimillionaire William Clark spent an estimated $260,000 on the construction of this splendid thirty-two-room residence between 1884 and 1888. Though an astounding sum, that figure represented only a half-day’s earnings out of Clark’s…

Completion of the “Milwaukee Road” brought hundred of homesteaders to Ingomar during the 1910s. By 1914, wood-frame homes and a small commercial district proclaimed the town a permanent settlement. On July 2, 1914, the Ingomar Index announced…

“The music of the carpenter’s hammer is heard in all parts of the city,” reported the Stevensville Register in March 1910. “A sure indication that spring is here.” Construction of the Wilbur Cook house may have contributed to that spring…

As Lewistown’s population doubled between 1910 and 1920, the community found itself short on living space. According to the paper, newcomers had difficulty procuring “even the most indifferent dwelling accommodations.” G. R. Wiedeman…

Richard Hoback and C. W. Cannon platted this area from a dwindling placer claim called the California Bar. The Hoback-Cannon Addition is today the eastern gateway to Helena’s historic neighborhoods. This Italianate style residence, built circa…

Pierre Wibaux, scion of a distinguished French textile family, arrived here at the settlement of Mingusville in 1883, establishing a cattle ranch about 12 miles north. His herds fared well during the devastating “Hard Winter of 1886-1887,” after…

From its roots as a pre-1900s cattle town to a farming community after the turn of the century, Wibaux well illustrates the transformation borne by many small Montana towns. This historic district reflects the high point of the town’s influence as…

1978 38 105 (white swan robe).jpg
Buffalo hide with polychromatic painting that depicts war record with twenty-four men wielding guns and lances and eleven horses. A beaded strip is attached to center of hide lengthwise and wraps around one edge of the robe. The beaded strip consists…

CH 10-0.jpg
Considered by many to be Russell's masterwork, 'When the Land Belonged to God' is set on the Missouri River at daybreak, a few miles downstream from the town of Fort Benton. Having just crossed the river, a small group of bison-with steaming backs…

Gold strikes at Bannack and Alder Gulch brought Irish immigrant Peter Whaley to Montana in the 1860s. Whaley’s wife and nine children shared his adventures, including his service as the first agent on the Flathead Reservation, until the family…

Small in scale but highly distinctive, this colorful Modern style office building is an eye-catching anchor at one of Helena’s busiest intersections. When it opened in 1962, it was one of the nation’s most up-to-date office facilities. Western…

Enclosed within the walls of this distinguished residence is the one-story log cabin young Charles Bray built for himself during the 1880s. A native of England, Bray came to Helena in 1884 to work for C. C. Thurston, first owner of the adjacent…

Englishman C.C. Thurston established a brickyard at this site in 1883. One of his employees was Charles Bray, a fellow Britisher, who had served an apprenticeship in brickmaking before leaving England. In 1885, Nicholas Kessler, a longtime Helena…

In 1905 Union Pacific officials began construction of a branch line in the pine-forested wilderness from Ashton, Idaho, to the western edge of Yellowstone Park. As the final tracks were laid in 1907, Samuel P. Eagle, Alex Stuart, Charles Arnet, and…

ith schools “crowded to suffocation,” the Billings School District decided to construct a new four-room school on the city’s West Side in 1909 for an estimated $28,000. For the building’s design, Billings architect Curtis Oehme chose a…

Small farms and orchards dotted the fourteen blocks of this residential neighborhood when the original townsite of Kalispell was platted in 1891. Soon a few wood frame buildings were constructed on its lots for temporary housing and to provide…

Marcus Daly watched with pride as Anaconda steadily gained momentum after its founding in 1883. While Daly’s social and political ambition was reflected in the elegant downtown Montana Hotel, Anaconda Company managers, city officials, and other…

Volcanic activity eons ago laid down this substantial granite deposit known as the Shonkin Sag Lacolith. Geologists Louis N. Pirrson and Walter H. Weed named the gray stone “Shonkinite” in 1894. I. E. Jenkins and W. H. Guyor began formal…

The local hot springs had been a business enterprise for almost a decade when in 1880 brothers William H. and Robert N. Sutherlin moved their newspaper, the Rocky Mountain Husbandman, from the waning gold camp at Diamond City to the promising town of…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2