Browse Items (1630 total)

  • Collection: National Register of Historic Places Signtext

Well-known Butte realtor E. Sterrett Shields and his family were the longtime residents of this interesting home, built just after the turn of the twentieth century. Shields was secretary/treasurer of the Butte Land and Investment Company and a…

Hand-cut local sandstone showcases the fine craftsmanship of master stonemason Martin Rolfson, who built this Colonial Revival style home in 1900. A hipped roof with front-facing gable and off-center frame porch create balanced asymmetry, while a…

Local rancher Lee Degenhart financed the construction of this building in 1910. Fred Haverty, a contractor from Hall, Montana, who later ran a car dealership here in Philipsburg, was the builder. Design features include the original ornamental leaded…

Cast-iron pilasters, a metal cornice, interior hardwood paneling and a pressed metal ceiling are reminders of the varied remodelings of this early commercial building, constructed before 1884. In 1895, architect H. M. Patterson remodeled the building…

Approximately 77 percent of Centerville’s male residents worked in the mines, and William Berryman, who owned this one-story, wood-frame, hipped-roof cottage, was no exception. One of the more common house types in Centerville, these four-square…

Like its immediate neighbors, this is one of Butte’s earliest substantial buildings. Dating before 1884, it documents various periods of use through a distinct sequence of visible alterations. The ground floor commercial space was originally…

A row of small one-story dwellings occupied the west half of this block in 1884. By 1900, the James McBride family was in residence. Like most of his immediate neighbors, James was a miner born in Ireland. He and his wife Margaret—a native of…

When this five-storefront corner business was built between 1918 and 1923 for Montana Leather Company owner MacPherson, it stood on the very fringe of respectability. The “female boarding house” that was then immediately next door on Mercury…

In the 1890s, members of Missoula’s genteel middle class had a problem. While they welcomed the business opportunities brought by the Northern Pacific Railroad, they feared the “unsavory” characters and “seedy” nightlife that accompanied…

This very early Westside home was the first on the block, built during the year Montana achieved statehood in 1889. Its anonymous builder, using locally manufactured brick, constructed the solid walls with three layers of masonry. The front porch…

Frank H. Cooney, one of four brothers in the merchandising business in Butte, purchased this lot on the William Penn Quartz Lode for $30 in 1898. As was usual in early Butte real estate deals, the mining company retained ownership of the property…

The stone foundation and masonry fabric of this early 1880s commercial building reflect the change to fireproof building materials after 1879, when a catastrophic fire destroyed most of Main Street. In 1884, the two-story building, like many of its…

A private ground-floor residence with rooms for rent upstairs was the original function of this 1880s two-story building. Its history provides a fascinating glimpse of life in early-day Butte. Maps of 1888 and 1890 show that a frame open-air porch…

Mature landscaping surrounds this cozy cottage bungalow built circa 1915. Colin L. Christie and his wife Ruth built the home where they raised two sons. Ruth was the daughter of Judge John Lindsay, who came to Butte in 1895 as secretary and legal…

A row of one-story frame shops including a harness maker, two carpenters, a cobbler, a saloon, a bakery, and a millinery filled this block in the 1880s. By 1890, most had been replaced. The present two-story storefront and lodging house replaced a…

Advertised as “The Choice Residence Section of Missoula,” the Hammond Addition attracted successful businessmen like David J. Haviland, who could afford the exclusivity the neighborhood offered. Lots in the Hammond Addition cost $500, as compared…

In 1880, when Joseph Broughton arrived in Walkerville, the booming silver town was a relatively isolated settlement. The Walker brothers—for whom the town is named—had purchased the Alice Mine only four years earlier with the help of their agent,…

Outlying settlements like Centerville sprang up so that miners could live near their work. Perched on the slope, Centerville’s steep streets witnessed many a wild winter bobsled ride down the long hill. A clanging bell cleared the way of…

In September 1887, the Helena Weekly Herald noted "nine first-class brick residences" under construction on South Rodney Street. Among them were three nearly identical duplexes, called Galen Estates after one of the development's principal investors.…

Bozeman’s premier architect Fred Willson designed this double storefront building with three apartments upstairs in 1928. Known for his versatility and customer-pleasing plans, Willson worked on other downtown projects that year as well, including…

A small L-shaped dwelling with a full-length front porch stood on this lot by 1875 according to an early bird's-eye map of Helena. German Catholic rancher Herman Rosenbaum and his wife Mary purchased the house in 1879. The neighborhood was perfect…

High maintenance steam engines required railroads to locate large repair shops every two hundred miles. After the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad chose Miles City for a division point in 1907, the town grew rapidly. Population…

An early one-story wooden dwelling stood here by 1884, replaced by 1888 with a two-story brick residence, set slightly back from the street. The home soon found itself ensconced in a busy commercial district. Neighbors included saloons, grocery…

Neoclassical design elements define this substantial two-story brick home built in 1891. Dentils ornament the eaveline, multi-pane windows dominate the symmetrical front façade, and doubled columns provide support for what was once a full-length…

An 1889 map shows this single-story balloon-frame residence, home to dentist John McComb and his wife Mildred by 1900. The house was a short walk from McComb’s office at 116 West Main, and he remained in the neighborhood when he moved around the…
Output Formats

atom, csv, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2